Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Week Five

Getting further into Addario's book, her adventures (and courage) definitely become more intriguing and dramatic. Especially after Chapter 3, and the start of 9/11's war on terror. Two things she mentions in her book that have made an impression on me are her journeys and ideology on love, and her seemingly never-ending  run of fearlessness and impulse. Even when she is afraid, or upset by the things going on around her and the moments she captures her drive to tell a story and to educate people on the truth is astounding (and inspirational). Every time I read a new chapter I have an urge to travel and explore and find my own noteworthy news stories. A lesson I've gotten out of her book is her passion for photojournalism. I believe passion to be the driving force behind anything we do, and without this passion I don't see a point in producing work in the photography realm. Photography is an art, and for me at least, art needs passion. Addario makes many personal sacrifices throughout her journey, mostly being to those people closest to her. Her family and her love life are often targets in her expeditions. My favorite quote in her book is again, one about love. I think this is because I can relate to it, and it has a powerful meaning for me personally. She writes, after breaking up with her boyfriend, "Some part of me knew, or hoped, that real love should complement my work, not take away from it."
Below is one of my favorite photos in her book. The first one is of a man leaning against a wall where there are rows of bodies wrapped in cloth. This image is very powerful, especially with the lighting adding even more drama to the already-heart-wrenching image. The second photo is  that really caught my attention I was unable to find on the internet, but it is titled in her book as "Mohammad before prayer, 2000" This shows an image of one of her drivers walking along a gravel path with mountains framing the background. Its a beautiful image, and much different from most of her other photos around that time period. 


No comments:

Post a Comment