Friday, April 12, 2019

Week Two

PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE WEEK
For my photographer of the week I chose to do Ansel Adams, a photographer well known for his images of National Parks and advocacy for environmentalism. I found some interesting facts that really stand out and play a big role in not only his fame, but also in his life in general. In 1907 after a big earthquake he severely broke his nose, marking him for life and proving to be a distinctive trait. Though Adams clearly has a knack for creativity and art, he only completed school equivalent to the 8th grade. Originally, though, Adams was pursuing a career in Piano and music...but that was quickly replaced with a passion for photography. Adams' photos focus mainly on environmentalism and many of his photos are of national parks and protected areas. His photos are black and white, and he used them to speak out about protecting our parks and wildlife. He was very active in The Sierra Club (which also was a huge boost in his coming to fame.)

LYNSEY ADDARIO
 A Photographers Life of Love and War...honestly if it weren't for my Photojournalism class I probably would never have picked this book up and I definitely never would have read it. I am very glad I did, though. Once I started, I didn't stop. I couldn't put this book down and read countless chapters past what was required for class. By 1:45 in the morning it took my roommate and my boyfriend reminding me that I had to be up at 7am for class. I related to Addario immediately, and was inspired by her drive to travel and view the world through a photo lense. Something I have always had a passion for and plan to do in my future. I like how she looks at the world, and finds the little things that people miss or seem not to notice. Her words empowered me, but her photos played with my emotions. Her work was honest, and each photo spoke to me. It drove my curiosity and as I drove to class the next morning I (even more than usual) kept my eyes peeled for any opportunity to capture a moment. For a long time, I hadn't taken any pictures as I was uninspired and struggled to find things I liked. She made me realize that things may not always just be there sometimes you have to look for something with intent (I also credit some of this thought to a video we watched in class featuring Dewitt Jones.) I think thats the biggest lesson I can apply in class, and I am excited to find more stories...or even make my own. My favorite quote she writes, pertaining to this mentality; "He taught me to stand on a street corner or in a room for an hour-or two or three-waiting for that great epiphany of a moment, the wondrous combination of subject, light and composition." (Ch. 1: No Second Chances In New York.) My favorite photos are her ones of the soldiers, these draw on my curiosity. There is one (I included a link with and article and video including it below) that shows soldiers pulling a wounded member behind them, I stared at this image for quite awhile imagining what it must have been like to be there. Most people would probably be saddened and scared by this image, but to me it was a call to action. 
https://news.wttw.com/2015/12/09/trenches-war-photographer-lynsey-addario

No comments:

Post a Comment