Friday, April 5, 2019

Week One



My name is Ashley Osborne, and I am dual enrolled student through OSU and LBCC. I have a twin brother, and I am also Type One Diabetic. I’m a Marine Biology major with a minor in Photography. I've just started a Photojournalism class for the first time, and I'm super excited! I took this class because I’ve always loved photography and I also enjoy writing (all types: narratives, poetry, science writing, etc…) but I’ve never taken a journalism class and this one seemed really interesting and definitely something I would enjoy and learn from. I have quite a bit of experience, as I’ve grown up with a camera in my hand ALWAYS. I’ve taken two digital photography classes (one in college and one in high school), as well as a dark room course. I spent 3 years of high school working for the yearbook and my 4th year I was the head editor. I’ve photographed a wedding, as well as done a couple sessions of senior portraits and two family photo sessions. I’ve also taken a photoshop course. Besides that I’ve grown up going on “photography trips” with my grandma (who used to do professional photography) and have always had a passion for the art.

My three goals for this course are, one, to work on my interview skills and pairing my photos with a story or topic. Two, I would love to get a better understanding of angles and viewpoints when photographing people (mostly in a candid manner and less front and center headshots.) Lastly, I would like to practice more with backgrounds. Not necessarily staging them but being more aware of the positions and of my subject contrasted against whatever is going on in the back of the photo. I want my images to not just be one subject, but also show clearly the purpose of my subject (the topic or story.)

I scrolled through LBCC news on the campus website and found a couple events that not only interested me, but that would also make for good photo opportunities.

Starting with next Monday, April 8th the “Woke” event with Benjamin Glen happening at the Hot Shot Cafe on campus from 4-530pm. This is a social awareness event.

Next, I found on Friday, April 12th there is a double header baseball game at 2pm. They will be playing against Lane CC at 2pm, and at 5pm.

On Thursday, April 11th the poetry club is having their first meeting of the term at the Diversity Achievement Center in room F-220 from 12-2pm. This I would actually like to be a part of as well.

There are also some really cool colored lockers in the gym locker rooms. I'm in a yoga class early in the morning and maybe that could be a could staged photo of someone after/before a workout or PE type class (of course being mindful of the students dressing up and down.)

No comments:

Post a Comment